What is the best technique for textile customization?
There is no single answer to this question, it depends on the characteristics of the personalization, the item of clothing, the graphics and the use that will be made of the personalized items. Clothing printed with a photo or 100 sweatshirts with a simple one-color logo implies, for example, the use of different printing techniques. Similarly, creating branded clothing and customizing tote bags to advertise an event are not on the same agenda. Textile customization, and the possibilities it offers, are so many!
How do I understand which textile printing technique is best suited to my graphics? My priority is to make a good impression with personalized clothing but without spending too much, is it possible? My event is in 8 days, what’s the fastest technique? ”
Keep Calm! We at custom printing Dallas are here to guide you step by step in creating your projects. We always look for the best solution to give life to your ideas with the best quality/price ratio
Are you entering the world of personalized clothing for the first time?
Here are the main factors to consider when choosing the printing technique.
- Fabric properties: white or colored, cotton or polyester, a difficult to print garment or not.
- Graphics Features: Gradient or solid color.
- Limit of colors : digital printing and sublimation allow printing with many colors while other techniques have more limitations, for example screen printing (6 colors).
- Color fidelity: Do you prefer a concrete pantone or an approximate color?
- Budget: It is important to consider what budget is available to you before selecting the printing technique. Some techniques offer higher quality or have a more elaborate production process and are therefore less economical: embroidery, sublimation or fullprint are examples.
- Print quality : some printing techniques are perfect for events and advertising and less so for designers or merchandising, for which we recommend others of higher quality such as screen printing, direct digital printing or embroidery.
- Resistance to washing : it is not the same for all printing techniques and depends on how you will use it. If you’re looking for apparel for a publicity event, demonstration or video clip, print resistance won’t be a priority. In workwear or designer garments, on the other hand, it is a must.
- Touch : do you prefer a rigid print, an embossed one or one that is imperceptible to the touch? Sublimation and full print are impalpable, while DTG and screen printing offer a barely perceptible print. The embroidery and the DTF, on the other hand, are more appreciable to the touch.
Below, we will answer some of the most frequently asked questions that our customers ask us, with the intention of clarifying the major doubts that may arise in the choice of printing technique.
I want to avoid excessively rigid printing, how to do?
If you don’t like prints with too much thickness, we advise you to avoid DTF where plastic films are used. Their result, appreciable to the touch, is not for all tastes. Alternatively, you can opt for digital printing, screen printing or sublimation.
Screen printing vs DTG
Screen printing is an artisanal process : a frame is built for each of the print colors which are then applied to the garment one after the other. Due to its resistance and good finishes, it is one of the favorite techniques of designers. The results are flawless.
For printing apparel items with photos or gradient images that contain more than 6 colors, direct digital printing is unmatched. This technique uses CMYK inks and prints directly onto T-shirts, just like paper prints.
In choosing between one or the other, two main factors come into play: on the one hand the type of design, on the other the price.
Another important factor is color fidelity. In screen printing we reproduce pantone tones with 98% fidelity. In digital printing we cannot guarantee such high fidelity.
Screen printing or DTF?
DTF remains the best option for sports numbers and sports uniforms. Regarding the customization of clothing in general, techniques such as screen printing or digital printing are more widespread today.
What is the cheapest printing technique to personalize personalized clothing?
For large runs of personalized clothing with 1 or 2 color printing, screen printing has no equal. For small or medium sized orders with many colours, we recommend digital printing instead.
How can I print T-shirts with photos?
Do you want to capture a special moment? Are you a designer and want to create a line of personalized T-shirts with your photographs? Do you want to celebrate a graduation party with a photo of your friends? Many of you ask us if it is possible to print photographs on T-shirts, bags, etc. Of course it is, and with incredible results!
In this case the type of garment is among the factors to be evaluated in order to choose one printing technique rather than another:
- Cotton items :
- If you want to print T-shirts with color photos or drawings, illustrations with gradients, etc., we recommend direct digital printing . It has no color limits and allows you to print in photographic quality directly on the garment. Without adhesive films and with high resistance to washing. This printing technique can be used on white, black or colored T-shirts, sweatshirts, polo shirts and bags.
- White polyester garments :
- An even more resistant and imperceptible-to-the-touch alternative is textile sublimation. It can only be applied to white polyester garments, both sports shirts and polyester t-shirts with a cotton feel. This print is indelible and keeps the properties of the fabric intact. Highly recommended for printing souvenir T-shirts, promotional events and for clothing lines, as well as obviously for sporting events!